Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Sketches. Materialist Inspired.

15th October 2008

I was walking home, listening to Kanye's Flashing Lights, one of my most favorite songs ever. I love, I fucking love that song, I love the line, "She dont believe in shooting stars, but she believes in shoes and cars..." Damn, I love it, love the beat, love the video, it's very powerful and kinda overwhelming to me. And somehow when I listen to this song, I let myself to admit that I want to be rich, I want to make lots of money one day. I dream about it. In fact I always admire that kind of story about poor people who work really hard and to finally achieve their dream.



I think it's such a powerful story. I was then inspired by this imaginary story in my head. Story of a poor child, raised with the parents' ambition that he/she will make millions. So they get themselves into college, graduated with excellent grades, and landed a multimillion dollar job. Some educate themselves, learn about cultures, become social-climber, sort of like the modern day of Holly Golightly, then marry a millionaire. Some do both. It's a story about dream, ambition, transformation, and power.

I started sketching today, and um I want to portray the ambition, the youthness, transformation, and they're hardwork. Initially I want to make the looks very bold to show the contentment and confidence, but for the second thought, considering the economics condition and people's confidence, I think that these people would have a little bit of insecurities. Such as like, they fear that the money and power that they gained would somehow gone, so there isnt gonna be an end to they're hardwork. I think that Im gonna show this by making some of the piece slightly over the top, like a decoy, to distract people from their actual fear and insecurities. Anyhow, they're only sketches, just some ideas. May be I will show you the whole final drawing when I finish. Only If I feel confident about it. Ok?

Anyway, I thought this song would suits the materialisticness, like the plasctisness, and ambition to become riiiiiiiiich...





Ah anyway the first sketch I was thinking of Holly Gollightly slash Rita G on Kanye's video. Like how cool is thinking that modern day Holly killed Kanye?

No comments: